Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A bit of family news...

I just thought it was high time to let you all know what's been going on in my life. PLENTY!

First of all, the kids parents arrived on the 6th of August and picked up the children for a whirlwind trip to visit family in Alabama and Florida. I'm sorry I don't have any recent pictures of the kids, life is just so full for us that we forget to take pictures of big events. The parents arrived back here in the wee small hours of Tuesday morning, but had to say their final goodbyes to the children Wednesday afternoon. I'm so thankful that the kids are very well adjusted and happy kids, as their parents departure didn't seem to faze them in the least. Well, perhaps Jordan had a bit of a struggle with is, but he's back to his old VERY energetic self right now. School will start for Jordan on Monday! Kindergarten!! Where has our little boy gone to? The girls will begin Parent's Day Out with a new teacher next Tuesday! They will be going three days a week, so I'm hoping to have a bit more breathing space for my crafting.

My wonderful hubby had an appointment with the Infectious Disease doctor this morning and his blood work is all normal! Woohoo! No signs of infection anywhere in his body.

After our last appointment with his surgeon, the decision was made that he would have his leg amputated. There is just nothing worth the pain and suffering he's going through with a foot that has no leg attached to it except through soft tissue. It was so evident on the CAT scan that there wasn't much left to do. The chance of any kind of recovery to get him fully mobile again by doing a fusion doesn't seem a viable choice. There is so much deterioration in the Tib/Fib area that the percentages were pretty slim. But, the surgeon is quite willing for Bill to wait until next spring after the children leave before we take this final step towards recovery. He has been fitted for an Ankle Foot Orthotic (AFO) which should be ready this week. We're hoping that it will realign his leg and foot a little better and be a lot less painful to wear than the boot is. The boot is designed for temporary relief and he's been wearing it for a year.

With all this before us we have also decided to get a second opinion. We have forwarded all Bill's records to a Dr. in Maryland at Johns Hopkins but haven't heard anything back at this point. It will be interesting to see what another Dr. thinks about this severe a trauma. We're pretty sure that he will come to the same conclusion, as several Dr.'s on orthopedics here in Texas have concurred with the trauma Surgeon we're working with.

I've taken a few days from crafting while the children's parents were here, but took some time to reorganize my Mini images in their new home - the wonderful Binder being now sold by Diana in her online store. Mine is now completely filled and it is wonderful!!!! You won't believe just how easy it is and how neat and tidy they are. Wonderful idea Diana had. So then I had to go and clean up my flip book where I catalog all my regular sized Maggies. Now that looks nice and cleaned up too! I'm ready to roll.

So, other than the intense heat/drought we suffering here in Texas, life is moving forward one day at a time with the Grace of God covering our every breath. I'm so thankful for so many online friends who give me support, encouragement, laughter, and warm friendship. You all mean the world to me.

I'll be back posting in several days another creation which is not even a thought in my head as yet. Just need to readjust to the busyness of family life again. (The house was quiet as a tomb while they were gone and everything stayed so clean!)

Blessings and hugs,


  1. Hi Barb...doing a little catching up here...I have no idea how I had time to work!! hehe! Well, girl, it sounds like things are busy in your world. How wonderful that Bill is infection free! I'll be anxious to hear about the consult from Hopkins. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. How wonderful that the kids are back...and that they had a fun vacay w/their parents and family. I'm in the "organizing mode" too...I decided to try to get all my Spellbinders dies oiff the floor so I just got binders for them. I hope I like 'em...but I swear, they have to be better than the stacks all over the floor...that I keep tripping over! hahaha!! Hugs. Pat

  2. Hi Barb,

    I tried to call the other day after I was released from the Care Center, but had to leave a message. I had been praying and wondering how "things" were going for you and Bill and what the doctor had said. Your posting filled in the ?'s. As I have said before, having gone through two complete joint replacements, the worst part is making the decision and after, it becomes a matter of just dealing with what comes. But I am so blessed to be pain free in those new joints and I know your Bill will be blessed the same. It is hard to give up our God installed parts, but we have to do what will make us pain free for the future. I will continue to pray for future challenges for next spring. Glad to hear the positiveness in your words. Our God is a God of all power and all things and we can rely on Him to make the way smooth ahead since He knows the future and has already prepared the way for us.

    God bless you both. Love, Martha
    PS Who is that long haired beauty in the profile and where did the Barb I know go? LOL!

  3. Hi Barb, you certainly do have lots happening in your life! I do hope everything goes well with your hubby's leg, and do have fun with those gorgeous kids!

    Take care, Lyn

  4. Barb, I am glad your husbands infection is gone. Thank you for keeping us all updated as I am sure it is hard but then theraputic for you to get this all off your mind. I will keep praying, one moment at a time. Kelly


I appreciate your taking the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment.