Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Magnolia-licious September Sketch Challenge...



Well, life seems to be taking on a more normal pace for me again, and I'm finding time to get a few cards made.

This month the Magnolia-licious challenge, offered by the extremely talented Becca Feekan, is to make your choice of either Backpack box or a Suitcase box using any image from the new Bon Voyage Collection 2010 from Magnolia. For more details on making either of these projects, please check the Magnolia-licious Highlites Blog

I chose to make the little suitcase. It was difficult trying to decide which of the fabulous images available I should chose, but in the end decided to use the gorgeous Japenese Tilda #227 and available at Diana's wonderful online shop! I realized that the image wouldn't fit on the suitcase, so I made her into a little gift card to match the suitcase.

Here is the set together...



Here is my card recipe:

Image - Magnolia Licious

Copics used:
Skin - E000, E02, E11, chalk for cheeks
Hair - C9, C7, C5, C1
Flowers - R01, R20, R34
Shadow - W3, W1, W00, Y00, R01

Embellies:
Leaves - Smooch
Kimono - Oragami Paper and Pink Pirouette (SU)

Gold leafing pen
Gold Cardstock
Black 1/4 grosgrain ribbon
Selfadhesive Pink Pears
Nestabilities - Ovals, Scalloped Ovals, Circles
Computer generated sentiment
Flowers - Wild Orchid Crafts

I found some pretty shiny gold cardstock that I thought would make an excellent suitcase, and some beauitul Origami paper, which I've had for several years, has gold running through it. A perfect combination! I made my suitcase with a panel of Origami and cardstock on each side so it would match. The straps are just black grosgrain ribbon and I added pink self-adhesive pearls to the ribbon to make it look more authentic. The suitcase looked so very plain that I decided to add some floers and pearls to fancy it up a little. After it was all done, I added some yummy chocolate Nuggets to the box.



Well, since my little Tilda wouldn't fit on the suitcase, I decided to make her into a little card that would hold a gift card. Here is the card I made with Japanese Tilda...




Here is a closer view of how I colored/paper pieced/and shaded around her...



I made the inside of the card to say thank you and to hold a gift card. I made this set with some specific friends in mind! They have done so much to help us out since Bill's horrendous accident and I wasn't sure how I could replay them for their generoisity in helping us out. The little gift card is for a very popular restaurant here in town and I hope the whole family will enjoy the dinner out and the delicious chocolate Nuggets.




Thanks you so much for reading through this lengthy post. I hope you'll get busy and enjoy this months sketch challenge at Magnolia-licious Challenge Blog.

Hugs,
Barb













17 comments:

  1. So elegant and stunning with the the gold! Great idea to put the gift card in the card and candy in the suitcase!!! Love your coloring and the paper piecing!!! Fabulous job Barb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful set. The flower arrangement on the suitcase is just stunning.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little suitcase! Beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Barb, this is so elegant and so beautifully colored. I just love it!!
    Our little Tilda's just keep getting better and better...if thats possible.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Barb your card and suitcase are stunning. I love the colors...you did a wonderful job on the entire project. Love the colors. I am sure your friends will be thrilled not only with the gift but the card and suitcase as well.
    Hugs~
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fantastic project!!!! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I don't know what I love more that little suitcase or the coloring on your little girl! Wow you rocked it.

    I printed the instructions for the little suitcase I really want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A real winner Barb.. love your card with the suitcase.. so adorable, coloring, layout, right down to the gold is so perfect.. am so in love with it.. and to add the chocolates is everybody's greatest joy.. a perfect gift for any one... you did a great job on this one and must compliment you on the inside also Barb, really beautiful...
    Hugs, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness what a great project
    and gift card.....I know your friend's will love it.
    Love the paper pieced dress...just
    great as always.
    Hugs Linda W.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I love that little case you made and the colors and papers are beautiful.
    Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barb, this set is soooo gorgeous! I love everything about it! That gift card holder with Tilda is breathtaking and I LOVE the way you decorated the suitcase! FABULOUS!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Barb! this is beautiful! Your Tilda is lovely! the best kind of suitcase! lol Gorgeous gift!
    Pam Going Postal

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'M ALMOST DONE DOING THE BLOG HOP BETETR LATE THEN NEVER LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barb all i have to say is nothing because my jaw is on the floor!!!!!! I AM IN AWE AND AMAZED to the beautiful creation you have done. I love love those papers and i just can't stop stearing!!! JUST GORGEOUS!!!!RubyM:)

    P.S
    DID YOU COLORED WITH COPICS? I love her face!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is just too precious for words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful, gorgeous creation.

    Hugs, Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Barb!

    I just wanted to check in with you to see how things were going for you and your husband! So glad to hear that your life is somewhat getting back to normal again! What a huge relief, I'm sure!

    I have missed sharing your wonderful creations with all our followers and participants! Hopefully they're still stopping by and checking out your fabulous work!

    You never cease to amaze me with your creative talent! Love this suitcase and gift card holder! FABULOUS...just fabulous!

    Miss you and hope things continue to get better for you!

    Hugs,
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment.

Hugs....Barb